1) I first heard about oil pulling when my old roommate posted about it on Facebook. Recently, I’ve seen several more friends talking about it and it seems to be all the rage! This article explains it in detail, but basically, you put a teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth, let it melt, and then swish around the oil for 20 minutes before spitting it out. The oil is supposed to draw the toxins out of your body. I tried it twice and it wasn’t too bad. The texture is very strange at first, but once it melts, it feels like saliva! I didn’t stick with it long enough to see any results, but that’s because coconut oil is really expensive and spitting it into the trash didn’t seem like a great use for it!
2) PURIM IS COMING! Mark your calendars, the next Jewish holiday begins the evening of March 15th! It is a huge celebration filled with food and costumes and plays! Not too many people know about Purim, so here is an awesome infographic to fill you in.
3) Since living on my own requires me to pay for my own entertainment, I’ve found a way to see movies for FREE! And it is legal! Gofobo.com is a website where you can signup to be invited to early movie screenings. I went to a few in Cincinnati and have been invited to several in Portland, but I didn’t have a printer to print the tickets out with (darn moving boxes!) Some screenings require an RSVP code which you can easily find online or from local media outlets. Once you figure out where to get the codes (states usually have Twitter accounts dedicated to publicizing them), you can see several free movies per week!
4) In my high school AP Biology class, we were learning about fermentation and I decided to bring in each of the textbook examples of fermented foods for us to try. This included kimchi – which we all hated. I just think I brought the wrong kind because I’ve tried it more recently and loved it! Korean kimchi is a concoction of vegetables and spices ranging from funky to spicy. I can’t wait to follow this recipe to make my own!
5) Ugly white walls in a new apartment are boring, but when you can’t paint, what can you do? I love this article on how to create your own flower wall! It looks great in the pictures but I can’t imagine it would look quite as nice in real life. I don’t know if I will ever get around to doing this, but it was definitely an interesting read!